The Building

In 1915, the Finance Minister Gabino Bugallal suggested King Alfonso XIII to build a new house for the Navy Headquarters, as Godoy’s former palace was in serious danger of crumbling. The architects Francisco Javier Luque and José Espelius designed an eclectic rectangular building with two inner courtyards, inaugurated on July 16th 1928.

The building, which combines classical and neo-gothic elements much in vogue at the time, is crowned by a tower on top of the main façade. The different sides of the building are decorated and embellished with naval elements, coats of arms of old Spanish domains, ships and floral motifs.

Inside, one of the most magnificent elements is the Empire style grand staircase built in Carrara white and ochre marble. The banisters on both sides are decorated with pyramidal pinnacles and models of ship lanterns. A diminished arch displays a low-relief with a classical scene from Godoy’s palace. The upper part of the staircase ends up on a landing leading to the second floor.

The central and the two inner courtyards (now exhibition halls of the Naval Museum) are covered by spectacular stained-glass roofs with naval and decorative motifs.

    
        

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar nuestros servicios. Si continúa navegando, consideramos que acepta su uso. Aceptar Más información